Tuesday 27 August 2013

Six-month-review!

Today is exactly six months since I left a freezing cold UK for Thailand. I can still remember walking through Departures at Heathrow airport with a feeling of total disbelief at what I was doing! In our pre-departure training, it was suggested that it would take about six months to get settled into the placement and feel that things were really beginning to take shape, and I would say that was spot on, both on the work front and at a personal level.

In the first couple of months in Mae Sot, when I was seriously questioning whether I might have over-estimated my capacity for dealing with the change and challenge I had set myself, and the project seemed to be falling to pieces, I could hardly imagine staying here for two years. Now that I am settled in my lovely little house, with some good friendships developing, and enjoying the positive challenges of the project, I cannot believe that a quarter of my placement has gone already. Whereas before I was wishing the days away, now I find myself wanting to slow time right down, because I know that the next 18 months will just fly by, and I will be shivering at Heathrow again before I know it! It seems like the perfect opportunity to put into practice something that I have been trying to do for years, but have never been any good at - living for the present moment without dwelling on the past or fretting about the future. (Having said that, I had a dream just the other night about being back in the UK with no job - not an unrealistic prospect and clearly on my mind already!!)

So, things to take the time to appreciate:
  • getting to know people from so many different backgrounds
  • the opportunity to travel to new and fascinating places
  • being able to develop my own project and work agenda
  • learning so much from friendly and supportive colleagues
  • the joy of working with small children without actually being responsible for them!
  • a totally different pace of life
  • never feeling cold
  • the time to read books at a pace I have not managed in years
  • the satisfaction of challenges overcome (yes, I actually quite enjoy riding my motorbike now!)
  • the chance to make a difference - however small
Thank you to family and friends who have kept in touch with emails, blog comments, Facebook, Skype calls, cards and emergency clothes parcels! I have really appreciated the contact and support  from folks "back home"!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, really glad to see you're enjoying time there in Thailand now. Like mum, I've just done a big catch up of your recent posts, enjoyed reading about the good stuff and commiserated over the shower and water shortages! Thanks for the postcard, we all enjoyed seeing the Buddha's big feet and thank you for the birthday wishes too. love Margix

    ReplyDelete