Monday 5 August 2013

Back to normal?

Today after aerobics I had my first shower in my own house for almost a week. I think the problem with the water supply is finally sorted, though there have been several false starts over the last few days, so I'm not counting my chickens. Everyone else has had their water back after the flooding for several days already. But due to some crazy system that my landlady has set up whereby 5 houses that she owns all share a single water tank and pump system, we remained without water because of some unidentified problem in the system. I have been taking showers at Alice's house and filling up buckets on the rare occasions when the water came back for 10 minutes. Hopefully it is sorted now.....
It has really brought home to me just how much water we waste, and even though I promised myself that I would try to continue being frugal with the supply once it came back, I don't know how long I will keep that up.

On Sunday I did some "language exchange" with the young lady who came and translated when I signed the house contract. She speaks English quite well, but is keen to improve, and I definitely need to improve my Thai!! I hope we will be able to get together on a semi-regular basis, as our commitments allow, as I think it could be a good way to make some progress on the language front. I am also able to pick up some language from listening to the lessons at the child care centres! Today I learned some vocabulary related to the cleaning of teeth!

Next weekend is a long weekend, as Monday is a public holiday for the queen's birthday. I am thinking of going to Bangkok for the weekend. It's time I experienced the joys of the night bus!!

For those of you interested in wider VSO news, here is The Link to their newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment