Saturday 24 August 2013

Shower Saga Part 2

Well, the shower repair lasted for about three days, and then it stopped working again. It took until Thursday to be able to arrange with my landlady for someone to come and look at it. I would like to think that they were qualified electricians, but I have my doubts. I was home this time when they came, so I saw something of what they did. As far as I was able to make out, they have rearranged the wiring this time, which seems rather more alarming than it being plumbed in back to front previously. Their parting shot of "Try it like that for a bit and if it doesn't work then we'll come back again" didn't fill me with the greatest confidence. The shower is actually working for the moment, but I'm rather hoping that it will break down again, as my landlady said that if it does she will get a new one.

Today I finally got around to having my hair cut. I had not had it cut since before I left the UK in February, so it had got quite long and raggedy. Another volunteer here recommended a place to go. She said they don't speak any English, but they do a good job. So off I went, armed with the words for "wash" and "cut", together with the relevant mimed gestures.
The washing was a mixed experience. Thai hairdressers have reclined couches, somewhat akin to a dentist's chair, which allow you to lie back with your head over the sink. So much more comfortable than those neck-breaker contraptions in UK hairdressing salons! The hair wash was very thorough and included a lovely head massage. The only down side was that the water was cold. I've had enough of that at home just lately!

Rather oddly, they then proceeded to dry my hair before cutting it - one on each side armed with a hairdryer apiece. Almost as strange an experience as one time I got my legs waxed in Italy with one beautician per leg! Thankfully only one person did the cutting. I indicated how much I wanted cut off, and then sat rather nervously, hoping that she wouldn't get too carried away. Despite the fact that she seemed to have one eye on my hair and one on a celebrity channel on the TV, she did quite a meticulous job. She insisted on drying it again, even though it was already dry!
The end result was not at all bad:


They suggested I should return and get my toenails done! As everyone wears flip-flops, toenails are on show most of the time, and many women do get their nails properly cut and painted. Give me another six months and maybe I'll get around to that!

4 comments:

  1. This is a very nice hair style; well done. When communication is a problem it's not at all easy to achieve what you want. I have really enjoyed catching up with your blog; I've just read all of August. Thanks for the really great photos.
    Aunty Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The electric shower - sounds like the thermostat is temperamental. I wonder how much a complete new shower would cost... it might be worth suggesting you'll go halves on the price, depending on whether you feel the landlady is a bit hard up and whether she might then pester you for more 'help' in the future.
    I'm doing up my current house and have been living without any plumbed hot water for the last 3 months... I just use a bucket, a measuring jug, 2 litres of cold water in the bucket first then add a kettle of boiling water... it works surprisingly well if you get desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was indeed having bucket showers when it broke down completely. It is working fine for the moment...
    I don't think my landlady has any money problems. She owns at least half the houses on the street where I live, and is currently building a big new apartment block. A new shower probably wouldn't break the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good haircut... I'm sure Eddie would approve ; ) Great to catch up on Skype the other day too. .. even if it was a mix of talk, type and mime!

    ReplyDelete