Tuesday 30 April 2013

Every Cloud....

The Cloud:

Chandanie, the lovely VSO volunteer who lives just a few houses down the road from where I am staying at the moment, and who has taken me under her wing, has been offered a job in Bangkok and is leaving tomorrow. I am really sad about that (though happy for her!). I had only just started to get to know her in the last week or so, but already I could see that she would become a really good friend and support. I am sure she still will, but from a much greater distance, which isn't quite the same! It's a feature of life that I remember from my international school days - people come and go and you find yourself in a cycle of making friends and saying goodbye.

The Silver Lining:

I can move into her house! The timing isn't quite right, as I had committed to three months in Sam's house, May to July. We saw the landlady yesterday and she has agreed that I can take it from 1st July, so there will only be one month of overlap. It is a lovely little house, and I am looking forward to being able to make it my home. I was keen to find something in this area, as it is close to work and there are several VSO, ex-VSO and other NGO people who live around here. One ex-VSO volunteer, Simon, who lives just down the road, has offered to give me some motorbike "lessons", which will be very helpful, as I have not sat on a motorbike since my training in Kidderminster back in January! I don't think I'll be wrapped up in so many layers here!!

1 comment:

  1. It must be difficult when people you've only known a short while, but have high hopes of building a lasting friendship with, move on unexpectedly. I suppose the nature of the job means that the whole community is quite fluid. Another challenge but also a chance to meet so many more people as faces change.
    It's also meant you've fallen on your feet twice now with accomodation! Hope to come and see your new home sometime in your posting : )

    Happy Bank holiday weekend from the UK...weather's glorious as you can imagine! Actually, it is due to be a good one...not sure when that starts mind!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete