Thursday 7 March 2013

Random Observations


·         It is very difficult to find cotton clothes here – most clothes are made from synthetic materials. This surprised me at first, given the climate, but the reasoning seems to be that they dry very quickly and don’t need to be ironed. A case of convenience over comfort. Before leaving the UK I did a tour of various charity shops and found quite a few light cotton tops, but not skirts and trousers.  Oh well, I thought, I can buy them out there… Maybe not!

·         Riding mopeds on the pavement seems to be perfectly acceptable. Bang Saen is a university town, so there are loads of students whizzing around on scooters, as well as entire families.

·         Toilet rolls do not tend to be used for the purpose for which they were designed, most toilets being equipped with a hose for the purpose. However, they are to be found in special plastic dispensers on the tables of most eating establishments, where they serve as napkins.

·         Thai people smile and laugh a lot.

·         Before I left, opinion was divided over how easy it would be to eat as a vegetarian in Thailand. For genuine vegetarians I would say from observations so far that the people who said it would be tricky were right. The only sources of protein other than meat, fish and seafood seem to be egg or tofu. I do eat fish, so that gives me a bit more choice. I am looking forward to being in my own home at my placement, so that I can cook for myself.

5 comments:

  1. But don't let anyone offer to iron for you. One guy on our trip was begged by staff where we were staying to get his stuff laundered (for about 50p). When we came back from a day at work it was hanging on hangers in the street drying, with all the dust of a thousand jugernauts and mopeds billowing round it! The most hysterical thing (we we laughed) was that his fancy technical fabrics din't react well to a superheated iron! But the ironer had tried hard. Every panel of every item had an iron shaped burn mark on it! And he had to carry on wearing them. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useful advice! I am managing very well at the moment with the handy little travel iron kindly donated by my friend Jane :-)

      Delete
  2. Heather,Welcome to small Vegetarain house. Ann :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korp-khun kha! We will come back again and eat some more of your delicious vegetarian food. A-roy!

      Delete
  3. Nice to hear Thai from you.We open about 6 am - 3.00 pm. see you....Ann:>

    ReplyDelete