Friday 1 March 2013

Bangkok

We were set a "Mission Possible" to start the day today - to take the Sky Train and underground to a farmers' market, photograph a fruit that we had never seen before and find out the name of the fruit, and then find our way back to the VSO office in time for our first briefing of the day. We succeeded on all counts, and Kozue went one step further by buying some of the fruit and successfully bargaining the price down!


 When I learn to write Thai I'll tell you what the fruit is called!

I have to say that Bangkok is not really a place where I would want to spend a lot of time, being a very big, busy and crowded city, and I am looking forward to going to Bang Saen on Sunday for our language training. The weather reminds me of Milan in August - hot and sticky - and the hot season is only just starting...

The pink, red, green and yellow taxis make for a very colourful street scene!

This evening we had a very pleasant welcome meal with the local staff from the VSO office. They are all incredibly kind, helpful and supportive. I was also able to meet Alice, who is the volunteer already in placement at Mae Sot, as she is in Bangkok for a UNESCO conference.
Tomorrow we have a day off, and we are planning to visit a market for a spot of clothes shopping (it's difficult to find clothes suitable for the Thai climate in the UK in January/February!)

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that Heather arrived safely. I am already enjoying this blog. I am looking at it while in Nottingham, visiting Adeolu and Marguerite, and I am looking forward to future posts. Written by Joy, who will be anonymous.

    ReplyDelete