Friday 12 July 2013

The three-ended candle

A little while ago I dispensed some sensible advice to a friend who was working herself to a frazzle, pointing out to her that "the candle only has two ends to start with". Well, this week I have had to take some of my own medicine and realise that, now that the project has finally got going, I need to pace myself a bit. The last two weeks we have been very busy with the observations in the child care centres. Last weekend I spent cleaning and then moving into and organising my house. On Sunday night I went round to Alice's to watch the Wimbledon final, though I decided to go home after the first two sets, partly because I was tired, but mostly because I could not bear the possibility of it all going horribly wrong! On Monday after work I dragged myself to the aerobics class, and was mildly surprised to find myself still standing at the end of it, as I was feeling somewhat light-headed and seemed to have completely lost my powers of coordination. On Wednesday evening I was going to go to see the documentary at the film bar, but by the end of the day I was so exhausted that I just went home and collapsed onto my bed for a while. I did much the same thing last night, and this morning I got up a little later than usual, as we had planned a quiet "catch-up" day in the office. I am starting to feel a little more human again now.

Part of the problem is that I am not sleeping very well, mostly due to the various nocturnal noises, some still completely mysterious and unidentified, that wake me up at all hours. I am hoping that I will eventually get used to them and sleep on through. The dogs across the way are especially irritating - I fear I may end up committing doggy-cide before my two years are up!! According to Alice, they are very badly neglected. The owner is hardly ever there, and they are just left in the front yard the whole time, in filthy conditions. I don't think they are ever let out. It's no wonder they are so neurotic. It doesn't really make me feel much more patient towards them, though!

Apart from that, I am very happy with my new home. I am particularly enjoying having the kitchen sink inside the house. It makes preparing food and washing up so much simpler! I have also inherited the VSO library, from the time when there were about a dozen VSO volunteers in Mae Sot and they set up a "donate and share" library. I am certainly not going to be short of reading material! In fact, I am going to get rid of some of them, because there are far too many, and I would like some of the shelf space for my own things!

Home Sweet Home


The front view. The front yard area is under cover, so my motorbike and bicycle stay dry, and I can also hang my washing out there. I asked if a mosquito screen could be fitted at the front door. They finally did it the day before I was due to move in! They did quite a good job, except for a bit of a gap at the top that could let in flies, let alone mosquitos! Still, it's better than nothing, and means I can have a bit more light and air in the house by leaving the front door open.



These two pictures show just how close I am to the houses next door! My shutters won't open all the way because the wall is in the way!
 

The view from my bedroom window into next door's front yard


The bedroom - the sheets were provided. I probably wouldn't have chosen anything quite so ... floral!





Door to the bathroom - note the flip flops!
 

The bathroom is quite luxurious by Thai standards, with an electric shower and flushing toilet. Many houses still have the container of water with a plastic pan for flushing the toilet.




 Living room with kitchen area at the end. Notice the barrel for drinking water. Heavy when full!!


The kitchen sink! There is no cooker, so all my cooking from now on will be done with a rice cooker and an electric pan. We'll see how inventive I can be!
 

The living room the other way round, with fancy new screen door. As you can see, I'm not quite fully unpacked and tidied away yet, but nearly there. Planning to get a few more bits and pieces this weekend, including something for filing all my various papers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment