Thursday 13 June 2013

Watch out for the rain

The rainy season is gradually getting going, and it is beginning to cool down a bit. For the last week or so I have no longer been sleeping in the gale of a fan, I have started having warm showers, rather than cool ones, and the last few mornings I even gave my hair a quick once over with the hair drier before leaving the house, rather than letting it dry on its own. I have also discovered a small leak in the dining room ceiling...

We are still getting some nice sunny weather between the rain showers, but the showers are beginning to get longer and more persistent. I was out in a particularly heavy one on Monday on my bicycle. I did have my poncho on, but my lower legs and arms got pretty drenched, and when I got home I realised the water had got into my watch and it was no longer working. I was really upset about that. The watch was a present from one of the children in my class in my first or second year at the international school in Milan, which means I must have had it for about 12 years. I was feeling really cross with myself for not having left it at home and brought a cheap one here with me instead. I tried taking out the battery and waving my hair-drier at it to dry out the contacts, but to no avail.

On Tuesday, I must have driven my coordinator mad, asking him constantly "What's the time?" He was very patient (he always is!). I was resigned to having to go out and try to find a cheap watch somewhere, so imagine my surprise and delight when I got home on Tuesday and discovered that it had started working again! In fact, the delight was quite disproportionate to the event - I only just stopped short of dancing round the house with it clutched to my heart! I have resolved not to wear it when out riding during the rainy season, but to carry it in my bag and only put it on when I am safely at my destination.

This week for the first time I had to set off for work in the rain in the morning. With my bright orange poncho over my rucksack, which had my ukulele poking out at the top, and my outsized motorbike helmet, I looked like some sort of hunch-backed alien from a far-off planet! I will try and get pictures....!
I did not think I would ever say this, but I am almost beginning to enjoy riding around on my motorbike (though not in the rain!) Progress indeed! Last Sunday I finally got my act together to go the film night at one of the bars in town. The film was Monsoon Wedding, which was very appropriate given the weather that evening! Also last week I had a go at the ladies' football, but I think that is probably not going to be for me. I'll stick to the aerobics, and perhaps give yoga a try as well, which is something I've been thinking of for a while. I'm unlikely to be riding my bicycle much during the rainy season, so I'll have to make sure I'm getting some other exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment