Wednesday 15 May 2013

The 800m Hurdles

I am sure my placement will get going properly eventually, but at the moment all sorts of obstacles seem to keep popping up.

The day after we recruited him, my coordinator had to go back to Burma for family reasons. We are not sure when he will be back, and it is not easy to be in communication while he is away. We are hoping for a start date of 20th May....

VSO had identified 4 schools for me to work with. One of them is really too far away to be practicable, and there is some confusion around whether another of them takes migrant children or not, so we have been trying to identify some other alternatives.
Today I went to visit one of the remaining two "definite" schools. The children are not back yet, so I just had an initial meeting with the director to recap the project aims and my role (they already had a meeting with VSO in January), and I briefly met two of the teachers. They all seem very enthusiastic about me going there! (Though I think the director's enthusiasm may be stemming largely from the prospect of having a native English speaker in the school who will be able to help him improve his English......)
However, there is now a slight complication. I have just discovered today, after the visit, that another organisation, who also have an Early Years project working with Migrant Learning Centres and Thai schools, but specifically using the Montessori method, are going to start working in this school and the other of the two "definite" schools next year. I am going to meet with them tomorrow to try and work out what the implications of this are, whether we can work together, or if I will need to adjust my plans.
About 10 days ago I finally started some motorbike "retraining", having not sat on a bike since my training in January in Kidderminster. I was most distressed to discover how far I had regressed since then - I was scarcely able to wobble a few yards down the road, and forget trying to turn around! I very nearly despaired after that first lesson. However, thanks to the patience, calmness and excellent teaching skills of ex-VSO volunteer Simon, in three lessons I progressed to a level that he has now declared me "ready for the road"! I think I'll make that a pretty quiet road to start with!
 
On a positive note, I am beginning to identify some possible leisure time/ social activities. On Monday I tried out the free aerobics, which takes place not far from where I live. The Thai ladies who attend all seem to take it very seriously and leap about with great energy and enthusiasm. I tried NOT to expend too much energy, as it was so hot, but even so I sweated buckets and was completely wiped out for the rest of the evening. Other things that I will try out soon: regular film nights at one of the bars and - don't laugh - ladies' football!

No comments:

Post a Comment