Sunday 5 October 2014

Just when you thought rainy season was over...

Climate change is clearly having an effect on weather patterns here in Thailand just as much as anywhere else. Rainy season is supposed to run from around May to September. Both last year and this it was very late starting, and this year it never really seemed to get going properly at all. It had been predicted as a very dry season, with drought and associated problems for agriculture.
By the last week of September we were back to hot and sunny weather and it seemed that we had seen the last of the rain - until about a week ago, when it suddenly returned with a ferocity that had hardly been seen for the entire season.

Last weekend, I was speaking on the phone with Jennel and the rain was drumming down so hard I could hardly hear her. At a certain point there was a thunder clap so loud that she exclaimed "What on earth was that?!"

On Monday, I went to aerobics with Alice for the first time in about six weeks. As we were walking there we could see from the threatening colour of the sky that we were in for another massive storm. We just got there before the heavens opened. The class started as normal, but the rain on the roof was so loud that we could hardly hear the music, and as the instructor for some reason did not have her usual headset microphone she had no hope of making herself heard.

About 15 minutes in there was a tremendous thunder clap and the power went out. With no lights and no music it was impossible to continue, but the rain was so heavy that there was also no possibility of going home. We all huddled in the middle of the shelter, but the wind was so strong that it was driving the rain right in through the open sides and we were getting pretty soggy. All the Thai women squealed in terror every time there was a flash of lightning, which I found rather odd - surely they must be used to storms?!

Eventually it eased off enough for us to attempt the walk home, but by this time the roads were several inches deep in water as the drains are not able to cope with such a quantity of rain in a short space of time. When we got to my street it was in total darkness as the power was still off. I was just mentally preparing myself for an evening of darkness, with no chance of a shower (as the pump would not be working) and no chance to cook my dinner, when the power came back on again just as I entered the house. It has to be said that they are pretty good here at getting the electricity supply going again promptly after a storm.

The rest of the week settled into a pattern of thunderous showers at lunchtime and again in the early evening. On Thursday I was caught out on my motorbike in a horrendous downpour. (Thankfully I did have my poncho!) The rain was so heavy it was painful on my arms and I could hardly see where I was going. Despite my poncho I was more than a little damp by the time I arrived at my destination.
For the last few days we have been back to hot and sunny weather again - is it safe to dare to believe that the season really is over now, or does it have some more nasty surprises up its sleeve?!

UPDATE: a couple of hours later - the wind is howling, the rain is lashing, the thunder is rumbling, the lights are flickering, the roof is leaking, the curtains are blowing wildly and the dogs have all taken shelter... It's not over yet - clearly the fat lady has not sung!

No comments:

Post a Comment