Saturday 14 June 2014

Making a Difference

The deed is done! It came very close to costing me a nervous breakdown, and I do not see a blossoming career as a film-maker ahead of me, but I finally finished putting together the film of my work here, and in time for Refugee Week in the UK.

The Refugee Week theme this year is "Different Pasts, Shared Future". With 50% of the world's refugees reported to be children and young people, Refugee Week is focusing on these young people, who demonstrate such resilience and determination in building a new future for themselves in the UK, and who will play an important and positive role in shaping future society.

I was struck by the echoes of my own reflections on the impact of the VSO Early Childhood project here in helping migrant children, through education, to take up a strong position and make a positive contribution to society as they grow up.

Those of you in the UK can make a difference by getting involved with Refugee Week events in your area, or by visiting the "Simple Acts" website and completing a Simple Act of Welcome, which will help change the way refugees are perceived and bring about positive change in your local community.

But first, grab some popcorn, sit back and enjoy viewing "Making a Difference"!

 

4 comments:

  1. Nice video, Heather. I've been following your work so I suppose I already knew what to expect content-wise. Still, good work production-wise! I'm hopeless at making videos - all umm's and err's and stutters and repetitions.
    May I make a suggestion - that you put a link in the youtube description back to this blog and another to refugeeweek site, plus any other relevant background. People landing there (from tweets, say) can then find the context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I have done as you suggested. I have been looking at your blogs. Looks like you've done some interesting work in India and Sri Lanka. Good luck with your house renovations - seems like you've got a big task on your hands there!

      Delete
  2. It really is a great record of your work there. .. Although it doesn't begin to capture the additional hurdles you have had to cross just to get started! I forsee another career path opening up. .. watch out Steven Spielberg ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Steven Spielberg needs to be losing any sleep! :-)

      Delete