Sunday 6 April 2014

... and here's another thing!

I have decided if I am having a moan I might as well get everything off my chest in one go.
After a night in which I was first kept awake by the cacophonous cicadas, who have returned from their winter break, and later woken several times by dogs fighting in the street, I became aware, some time before six, of a new and unidentified noise competing with the cockerel for my auditory attention. It was a persistent, repetitive and somewhat erratic hammering noise coming from across the road. For a while I tried to ignore it, but eventually my curiosity and irritation got the better of me and I threw on some clothes and went outside to investigate.
The lady across the road was in her front yard, which also serves as a kitchen, making an early start on her Sunday cooking, pounding away with a pestle and mortar. I refrained from doing a repeat performance of my little outburst with the landlady yesterday, though the words were all there in my head - "Hasn't it occurred to you that some people might want to rest on a Sunday morning? And while we're on the subject, can't you just strangle that *$X*&~#$** cockerel?!" No, instead I let out a deep sigh and trudged wearily back inside and back to bed, pausing on the way to open the kitchen tap and place a bucket under it, in the forlorn hope that the water might come back on.
Was I ever ready to pack it all in and come home!!
The water did come on around 7am; I heard it trickling half-heartedly into the bucket so I leapt out of bed, topped up my water-storage bin in the bathroom, had a quick shower and washed my hair, washed yesterday evening's dishes and some of my clothes from the Bangkok trip, saving the used water, of course, for flushing the toilet later. Nothing like making an early start with one's Sunday chores, as I'm sure my neighbour with the pestle and mortar would heartily agree.
It does make you realise, though, just how much water we merrily throw down the drain when we have a reliable supply - pause for thought for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment